Saturday, May 23, 2020

Quarantine Notes, Day 69

At about 10:00 AM today, I was shopping at the grocery store nearest to my house. The customers are usually a little more upscale economically than the typical Walmart crowd, so I wanted to estimate the percentage who were still observing  COVID-19 precautions versus the percentage who weren't.

As I meandered from aisle to aisle, I tried to count the people I passed in groups of ten, then a second count of how many in each group were masked. It's a tricky job to avoid counting someone twice, but I don't think I made that error many times since the store wasn't overcrowded.

At any rate, I finally estimated that about six of the people in each group of ten (both employees and customers) were wearing face masks. Nearly all of those w/o masks were white males, over age 50 and noticeably overweight - the kind of guys you always see in large numbers in photos taken at MF45's campaign pep rallies. There were fewer unmasked women, but those I saw were similar to the men in terms of age and obesity. I saw a few couples with one partner masked and the other not.

PS: I'm one of those people who looks at wearing or not wearing a face mask in public as a political statement of some kind, even though I understand why it shouldn't be. Those fat old white guys strolling around the store w/o masks might as well have been wearing red MAGA caps as far as I'm concerned. Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

DAILY KOS: Government shouldn't be run like a business, especially when a businessman who doesn't know anything about running the government doesn't know shit about running a business either.

The TrumPest is playing golf while COVID-19 continues to reduce the population. This has some people in a snit, but honestly, he causes fewer problems and less damage when he's on the golf course. Let him stay there permanently.

No comments:

Post a Comment

KEY FACT

Dedicated to Jim Ferguson. If you don't know who Jim Ferguson is, you (a) haven't seen The Missouri Breaks, or (b) have an inadequate ability to fully assimilate movie trivia.