Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Un-Civil War

After Obama's convincing win in the 2012 election, discussion surfaced concerning an approaching civil war within the Republican Party. It was an appealing idea: Imagine a rift so spectacular that the lunatics responsible for the widespread insanity in the GOP were forced to the margin, and sensible, responsible conservatives were able to regain control of the party's agenda. I was captivated by the idea that before I died, I might need to give serious thought to which major party candidate I would vote for in a presidential election. That hasn't happened often.

In 1968, I mulled over a choice between Nixon and Humphrey, before voting Republican in support of Nixon's secret plan to end the war in Vietnam. In 2000, I spent hours pondering my choice if McCain ran against Gore. When the Repubs nominated W, it expedited my decision.

The bottom line is that I voted Democratic in 1972 because I was so goddamned sick of Richard M. Nixon, and in every election since, the GOP has nominated a candidate I would never vote for, even if they offered to pay me. For me, voting against Republicans has become a matter of pure reflex.

An article in Salon makes the case that rumors of Republican civil war are greatly exaggerated. That's partly because there aren't enough sensible moderates to wage a campaign, but mostly because the lunatic majority convinced themselves that they aren't losing because of their insanity -- they're losing because their candidates aren't insane ENOUGH. When Americans get a chance to vote for Ted Cruz or Rand Paul, they'll love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

KEY FACT

Dedicated to Jim Ferguson. If you don't know who Jim Ferguson is, you (a) haven't seen The Missouri Breaks, or (b) have an inadequate ability to fully assimilate movie trivia.