Sunday, January 20, 2013

Playoffs

I made it through the entire 2012 season without watching a single regular-season NFL game, but the AFC and NFC championship games will be played today, and I'll probably watch most, if not all, of both.

In the NFC, the 49ers are slight (4 point) favorites over the Falcons, and the Patriots are favored by about a TD over the Ravens in the AFC. Back in the old days, the 49ers fought it out with the Cowboys for NFL supremacy, so I still regard them as a nemesis even though I stopped giving a shit about Dallas years ago. On the other hand, I'm partial to the Patriots, who started winning championships around the time Dallas reached a condition of permanent mediocrity. I suppose the best scenario for me would be 49ers versus Patriots in the Super Bowl, with New England winning the Lombardi Trophy.

Added 7:06 PM same day: Atlanta blew a 17-0 lead and lost to San Francisco 28-24. At the half, New England leads Baltimore 13-7. The AFC game has been mostly defense so far.

Added 10:42 PM same day: The Ravens dominated the second half and won easily 28-13. So the Super Bowl will match the 49ers against the Ravens, and the Harbaugh brothers will face off for the whole enchilada. Personally, I won't be as interested in the outcome as I would've been if New England was the AFC representative.

No comments:

Post a Comment

KEY FACT

Dedicated to Jim Ferguson. If you don't know who Jim Ferguson is, you (a) haven't seen The Missouri Breaks, or (b) have an inadequate ability to fully assimilate movie trivia.