Monday, July 30, 2012

The Vault

Mrs. bee has taken an interest in the summer Olympic Games from London, and while I've almost never watched them in the past, last night we saw one of the women's gymnastic events. It's called vaulting, and it requires some of the most incredible goddamned athleticism imaginable. I can't begin to get a handle on the discipline, intense training, and dedication that are required to compete in gymnastics at the Olympic level. When I was in college, I took gymnastics one semester as a required P.E. course. I'm not sure now, but I think I probably flunked it my freshman year. I can't recall what I was thinking when I signed up for the class. At any rate, now that I'm reaching geezer status, I have a deep appreciation for what those young women have accomplished. I guarantee you, none of it came easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment

KEY FACT

Dedicated to Jim Ferguson. If you don't know who Jim Ferguson is, you (a) haven't seen The Missouri Breaks, or (b) have an inadequate ability to fully assimilate movie trivia.