Friday, February 17, 2012

Precipitation

Two weeks ago tonight, after a prolonged period of torrential rainfall, the water accumulation in my backyard was higher than foundation level, and I got some flooding in three rooms. I spent most of that Friday night moving stuff to keep the water from ruining it, mopping and vacuuming up, and cussing at the top of my lungs. At 10:30 pm, I was at Walmart to buy a 16-gallon heavy duty wet/dry shop vacuum because the capacity of our little vacuum at home was too limited. I ended up getting less than two hours sleep. All factors considered, it wasn't the worst night of my life, but it was on the list.

I needed to reorganize my den/office anyway, so moving much of the stuff that was piled up in there gave me the impetus to start working on that project. For two weeks, I've been going through clutter, deciding what to toss and what to keep, and devising a plan to store my music collection that will protect it in case of another flood.

In the meantime, there's been enough rain since February 3rd to keep the ground saturated. Today we've been getting even more rain and there's a possibility of additional flooding. That pisses me off, because I don't want to move my stuff back into the den/office until I'm positive it'll stay dry for awhile.

Somewhere in the world, I think there's a locale where the weather is nearly perfect. I don't know where that place is, but it's damned sure not in Texas. Where I live, the weather's a problem most of the year. It's either too fucking hot or too cold, too dry or too wet. We either suffer months of drought, or get so much rain that flood damage is a problem.

Bottom line is, since I can't depend on nature to keep my house dry, I need to hire somebody to engineer a solution to my drainage problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

KEY FACT

Dedicated to Jim Ferguson. If you don't know who Jim Ferguson is, you (a) haven't seen The Missouri Breaks, or (b) have an inadequate ability to fully assimilate movie trivia.