Friday, February 25, 2011

Dixie

Among the states of the former Confederacy, I've always thought of Mississippi and Alabama as the true armpits of the deep South, followed closely by Louisiana. I've often wondered if suicide might be preferable to residing in Mississippi or Alabama.

Compared to Ole Miss and 'Bama, I rated Georgia in a different class. Hell, I don't know why. I guess Atlanta always seemed urbane since they had a pro football team. Mississippi always seemed like a place where clean overalls and a cap with a NASCAR logo qualified as a fashion statement, and all my impressions of Alabama were formed years ago during the civil rights movement. The University of Georgia has an English bulldog as its mascot, and those are my favorite dogs. Rather than condemn the whole southern region as a shithole swarming with toothless, illiterate, inbred fucks, I made an exception in Georgia's case.

Today I came across this story about some cracker in the Georgia legislature who's proposing a law that could potentially make women who experience miscarriages subject to felony charges. That sounds even dumber than most of the stuff that comes out of Austin, and blows my whole fucking theory about the relative sophistication of Georgia.

Added 8:48 am, same day: More proof that I had Georgia rated much too high. And now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure "Deliverance" was set in Georgia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

KEY FACT

Dedicated to Jim Ferguson. If you don't know who Jim Ferguson is, you (a) haven't seen The Missouri Breaks, or (b) have an inadequate ability to fully assimilate movie trivia.