Saturday, August 25, 2018

Ace McCain

In summer 2000, I voted for John McCain in the Texas GOP primary, and was preparing to vote for him in the presidential election if he was the Republican nominee. He wasn't, and the country got eight years of Bush 43 instead.

I wasn't happy with McCain during those eight years, mostly because I believed he was too willing to support W after the 9/11 attacks. Still, when 2008 rolled around and Ace won the GOP nomination, I was on the verge of voting for him again. Then, Sarah Palin happened. That was such a stunningly terrible VP choice, it forced me to turn my back on Ace. Was I disappointed? More like betrayed, and extremely pissed off.

So Ace McCain will be on record as the last Republican I ever voted for (2000), and the last Republican I seriously considered voting for (2008). For all his faults, he was still closer to being a decent human being than any other Republican I can name offhand, unless Colin Powell is still a Republican. Is he?

Anyway, Ace's struggle is behind him now.

UPDATED MONDAY 27 AUGUST 6:10 PM from All Hat No Cattle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

KEY FACT

Dedicated to Jim Ferguson. If you don't know who Jim Ferguson is, you (a) haven't seen The Missouri Breaks, or (b) have an inadequate ability to fully assimilate movie trivia.